The Calumet City Public Library is seeking a versatile and service-oriented person for our part-time Custodian position. This position is responsible for cleaning the library building and providing general building maintenance.
The Custodian performs general, routine custodial duties, including dusting, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning restrooms, and restocking paper and soap supplies. Other job duties include emptying trash and recycling receptacles, picking up trash from the grounds, cleaning soiled areas on floors, walls, and furniture, and cleaning windows. In addition, the Custodian will perform basic preventive maintenance such as changing light fixtures, repairing or moving furniture, handing fixtures or other light non contractual duties.
This position involves considerable bending, lifting, reaching, and carrying. There is occasional heavy work as well as some outdoor work, sometimes in inclement weather.
Requirements: Candidates for this position must be age 18 or older, be able to take initiative and work independently, be able to handle the physical requirements of the work, and be competent in English, both orally and in writing. A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates who have previous experience in custodial work and in operating cleaning equipment.
- Knowledge of appropriate cleaning and maintenance techniques
- Address daily maintenance needs including but not limited to cleaning, lightbulb and emergency lighting replacement, trash collection, light carpentry and painting, light plumbing and furniture and equipment assembly and repair.
- Set-up and move furniture for programs and special events
- Retrieve and empty outdoor books and AV return bins
- Help maintain parts and supplies inventory
- Unload deliveries and distribute supplies to appropriate departments.
- Basic computer skills
- Maintain MSDS book
No phone calls, please. Email your resume and 3 professional references to: email@example.com