Youth Services Librarian
Are you someone who thrives in a changing library environment? Does building strong connections with schools and students sound like an exciting challenge to you? We are seeking a change-ready, empathetic collaborative Youth Services Librarian to join our team it begins to strategically grow partnerships in literacy and programming for patrons aged birth to eighth (8th)grade and their caregivers. If you’ve got fresh plans for new initiatives and a penchant for programs, this may be the position for you.
Nestled south of Chicago and fewer than 10 minutes from the Illinois-Indiana state border, the easily commutable suburb of Calumet City is celebrating its 128th year of incorporation. The Calumet City Public Library (CCPL) proudly prioritizes maintaining an ethnically, racially and culturally diverse staff that is reflective of the 36,000 residents we serve. As a public service institution, the library is dedicated to providing timely, accurate and useful information to our community, placing special emphasis on popular materials and services.
What You’ll Do for CCPL:
• Plan, develop, implement and evaluate programs that inform, entertain and enlighten youth services patrons and their caregivers
• Serve as the main point of contact for outreach tasks specific to local schools and institutions
• Maintains advanced knowledge of popular materials for patrons aged birth through eighth (8th) grade and their caregivers and selects materials in assigned areas. (media orders for dvds, games, etc.)
• Assumes responsibility for the operation and security of the library as needed, serving as Person in Charge by interpreting and implementing library policy to resolve issues
• Advises Youth Services Manager regarding long-term needs, improvements and innovations in services and materials for those patrons birth through eighth (8th) grade.
• Collaborates with all library departments to enhance library services and implement library-wide projects and intergenerational programs.
What CCPL Can Offer You:
• Non-exempt position, working 37.5 hours per week
• Benefits eligible under the LiMRICC consortium for the employee
• IMRF participation
• Library Administration that prioritizes continuing education
• Paid Membership to work-centric organizations
MLIS from an ALA accredited school, or nearing completion of the MLIS degree.
• Customer Services experience preferred.
• Advanced understanding of Microsoft Office, Google tools and virtual working environments
• Ability to work independently and productively
• Communicates clearly and effectively to establish and maintain professional relationships with staff and patrons
• Ability to direct the work of others
• Availability to meet day, evening and weekend hours requirements
• Access to regular, reliable transportation
• Duties are performed mainly indoors in an active, collaborative office environment with a moderate noise level
• Duties require near constant standing and walking
• Duties require use of close vision and ability to adjust near and far
• Duties require speaking and hearing
• Duties often include lifting up to 30 pounds, bending, stooping, climbing, pushing and pulling in excess of 75 lbs., reaching, handling, and fine manipulation skills
• Duties may include brief exposure to current weather conditions
This is a Full Time, exempt, benefits eligible, IMRF Participating position. Annual salary for this position starts at $40,000 or higher depending on experience and qualifications.
No phone calls, please. Email your cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to: email@example.com